How to be a Successful Leader in the Workplace
April 9, 2013 Leave a comment
Some people are natural born leaders, and some would rather sit at their desk and be ignored by everyone. No matter which kind of person you are, it’s pretty clear only good leaders get ahead. Most successful leaders have made tough decisions so many times throughout their lives and careers, that they are able to get past the intense pressure and come up with a practical decision.
Leadership eventually becomes something that comes second-hand to people, after many years of practicing. To further your career, here are 10 tips on what successful leaders do every day:
1) Make decisions – In order to be a good leader, you have to be good at making decisions; big or small.
2) Make everyone feel that they have a voice – Don’t overpower or scare your employees, make sure they know that they can come to you with their ideas.
3) Share expectations – Don’t just expect your employees to know what you want out of them, tell them.
4) Lead by example
5) Provide feedback, good or bad – No one likes to hear that they aren’t doing well, but that is the only way they can improve. Give positive praise as well. Compliments boost people’s moods and make them want to work more.
6) Ask questions – Just because you are in charge doesn’t mean you have to know everything.
7) Remain in a positive mood around your employees – If you need to vent in your office that is fine, but keep a positive attitude around employees in order for them to do the same.
8) Create friendships – Associate with “lifters and other leaders”. This will help you improve, as well as others.
9) Split up the work accordingly – Know which of your employees are good at what and use them for this.
10) Avoid procrastination – This is a bad example to your employees